Weak bones can be caused by your lifestyle. The good news is that you can make them stronger - whatever your age.
You can't blame your family history entirely for giving you weak bones. While our genes account for 60 per cent of our bone density, the remaining 40 per cent is influenced by our lifestyle. The good news is that while we reach our peak bone mass aged 25 to 30, there are plenty of changes we can make at any age to lower the risk of osteoporosis. Osteoporosis runs in families, but from our forties onwards our bones gradually lose their density as a part of ageing. Post-menopausal women are more at risk because of the drop in levels of oestrogen, which has a protective effect.
6 food rules for bone strength:
- Eat a calcium-rich diet; the current recommended daily dose is 700mg, but you should consume around 1,000mg. The best sources are dairy products, but other sources such as green leafy vegetables, baked beans, bony fish and dried fruit are good too.
- You need vitamin D in your diet to help calcium to be absorbed properly. It's produced by the body from sun exposure and is found in oily fish and butter.
- Consider a vitamin D and calcium supplement.
- An alkaline diet -one that's rich in both fruit and vegetables - will boost absorption of calcium and strengthen bones too.
- Make sure that 15 per cent of your daily calories come from protein.
- Eat 100mg of phytoestrogens a day - sources include linseeds, soya milk and tofu. They mimic oestrogen, helping to preserve bone density during and after the menopause.
Exercises for strong bones:
- Walking for 20 minutes, three times a week, has a protective effect on bones. It also improves muscle control and co-ordination.
- Try exercise such as jogging, tennis, squash and weight-training three times a week, for an hour or so. As a living tissue, bone responds to changes in force and different loads by growing stronger.
- Swimming, particularly backstroke, helps muscle function, which is also good for your strength, mobility, balance and posture.
Clean up your lifestyle:
- Smoking has a toxic effect on bones and may cause women to have an early menopause.
- Reduce salt and alcohol: high consumption can interrupt calcium absorption. And heavy drinking can accelerate the menopause, so stick within 14 to 21 units a week.
Take the right bone test - A DEXA - dual energy X-ray absorptiometry - bone density scan can diagnose osteoporosis or fragile bones, but the first symptom is often a painful fracture. There is a shortage of NHS scanners in the UK, so those at high risk of osteoporosis or patients who have experienced a fracture are prioritized. Talk to your GP about a referral. A bone marker test, which requires a sample of urine or blood, can help assess the rate at which bone broken down or formed and is available at specialist centers.
To find out if you are at risk of osteoporosis, how to treat it and how to increase bone strength in your 20s, 30s, 40s, 50s and more visit http://www.yourcoffeecorner.com